Monday, November 10, 2014

Micro aquarium blog 4

My fourth lab observation took place on 11/6/2014. At first, I didn't see as many organisms I usually see. I decided to add water to my micro aquarium. That helped a lot b/c more organisms started to come out.  Some of the organisms I haven't seen yet.


The first organism I seen was a Halteria sp. (Patterson 1996 p.139 fig. 304). This organism moved very fast. It was really hard to capture a photo. One unique thing about this organism is the spherical shape it has.













The next organism I observed was a Tachysoma sp. (Patterson p.125 fig.264). This organism was moving very slowly. Dr. McFarland told me that these organisms can divide.















The most interesting organism I observed was a Phacus sp. (Patterson p.71 fig.123). When i first seen the organism, I though it was a floating leaf. It has a really bright green color. Dr. McFarland said that was the first time he has seen it this semester.












Bibliography

 Patterson DJ.  1996.  Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa.  London (UK): Manson Publishing Ltd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment