Monday, November 17, 2014

Final micro aquriam

On November 12, 2014, I made my last observation for my micro aquarium. This week was probably the most active of all. Some of the organisms I could identify on my own. I seen some very interesting organisms and algae that Dr. McFarland help me identify.

The first organism I seen was a Philodina  sp. (Pennak 1989 pg.172 fig.3). This organism had a very unique structure. It looked like it had a spinning fan attached.Its body movement reminded me of a leech of some type of worm.












The second organism we identified was a Chrooccus sp. (Lund 1995 pg.197-198 fig.377). It was pretty boring due to the lack of movement.The color of this bacteria is very interesting. I found out that it is a type of cyanobacteria.













While Dr. McFarland and I were searching for more organisms, we found a few dead seed shrimp. It looked like there was some type of bacteria feeding off the dead organism.















This is a green algae called Oedogonium sp. (Bellinger,Sigee 2010 pg. 157 fig.4.17).
















The last organism we identified was a Chaetonotus sp. (Pennak 1989 pg.165 fig.7).











Canter-Lund, Hilda, and John W. G. Lund. Freshwater Algae: Their Microscopic World Explored. Bristol, England: Biopress, 1995. Print.


Bellinger, E., & Sigee, D. (2010). Freshwater Algae Identification and Use as Bioindicators. Chichester, West Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.

Pennak RW.  1989.  Freshwater Invertebrates of the United States.  New York (NY): The Ronald Press Company

No comments:

Post a Comment